- Full name: Barack Hussein Obama
- Date of birth: August 4, 1961
- Place of birth: Honolulu, Hawaii
- Parents: Barack Hussein Obama, Sr. and Ann Dunham (divorced)
- Spouse: Michelle Obama (married 1992)
- Children: Malia (born 1999), Sasha (born 2001)
Currently, Barack Obama is the junior United States Senator from Illinois and as of this writing, he’s the only African American US senator currently serving. He was elected to the Illinois state senate in 1996 as a democrat. In 2000, he made an unsuccessful run for the US House of Representatives, losing to four-term incumbent Bobby Rush. In 2002, Obama ran unopposed for the Illinois state senate and was reelected. He then ran for an open seat in the US Senate and was elected in November 2004, receiving 70% of the vote (compared to 27% for his opponent, Alan Keyes).
Despite telling reporters in November 2004, “I can unequivocally say I will not be running for national office in four years”, recent opinion polls rank Obama as one of the top choices (along with Hillary Clinton) for the Democratic party’s nomination for the 2008 presidential election and
he is taking the first steps towards that goal as of February 10th, 2007, he is officially in the running.